What is Adhesive capsulitis
What is Adhesive Capsulitis? Or Frozen shoulder
By Veena Deo
Adhesive capsulitis is a condition where one’s shoulder is affected by severe pain and stiffening. It is also known as Adhesive Capsulitis. The words Adhesive Capsulitis are derived from the Latin word adharens, meaning “Sticking to” and capsule meaning “little container” and the Greek word its meaning is inflammation. This painful and disabling condition often causes great frustration in people.
In Adhesive capsulitis the pain is usually constant and may aggravate at night. In such cases, movement of the shoulder gets severely restricted. It occurs mostly in people between the age of 40 and 60. About 70% of cases occur in females. If one takes an x-ray of such a person, the shoulder will appear to be normal and healthy and it cannot be detected.
There are three stages of Adhesive Capsulitis -
A) Painful stage B) Frozen stage C) Thawing stage.
Adhesive Capsulitis mostly occurs in the people suffering from Diabetes, Thyroid issues, Chronic inflammatory arthritis, after a chest or breast surgery and after a fracture of the arm.
Home remedies for Adhesive Capsulitis -
One should practice mild physiotherapy exercises every day, so that shoulder muscles does not become stiffer.
- Apply the paste of Curcuma Longa or Turmeric on the frozen shoulder twice a day. One can use Turmeric curcumin supplements also.
- Do some stretching exercises. They will help to increase the movements of the arm.
- Heat pad is also considered to be one of the effective natural remedies for frozen shoulder.
- Local application of Mahanarayan Oil or Prasarini Oil or Mahamash Oil or Camphor based topical muscle pain reliever oils should help this condition.
- Put 3 cloves of Garlic in a little mustard oil, boil it, allow this to cool and apply this oil to the frozen shoulder, 2 times a day.
- Gentle massage of coconut oil is also advisable.
- Try to consume Clarified butter or Ghee and Vegetable Oil, in a small quantity, as these will help to lubricate the joints.
- Hot and cold compresses or using a pad works as a wonderful natural remedy.
- Soak a cotton towel in some hot water. Then cover the shoulder with this towel for about 5 to 10 minutes. This is one of the effective ways to relieve pain and stiffness of the shoulder.
- Herbal supplements like Turmeric and Boswellia also play an important role to help with frozen shoulder.
- Addition of fish oil and Glucosamine may be helpful to relieve joint pains.
- Intake of calcium rich food is advisable like Beans, soup of Barley, Sprouts, Soup cooked with seaweed.
- Intake of green vegetables is also advisable.
- Spirulina is a natural source of Proteins, Vitamins & minerals. Hence intake of Spirulina along with Black pepper is advisable.
- The juice of antioxidant herbs like Amla or Indian Gooseberry, Carrots is useful as these help to raise vitality and stamina and to remove stress and depression in people with frozen shoulder.
In my opinion following the above natural remedies for frozen should or Adhesive Capsulitis should work for most people. I also recommend the use of certain Turmeric Curcumin supplements mentioned above. In cases of severe conditions one should always talk to a Medical Doctor.
Read also article on- Stress supplements
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information and on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com