Natural Remedies for Depression
Natural remedies for depression that are useful
By Veena Deo
In this article I am going to be talking about some of the causes and natural remedies for depression that can be followed.
Depression is a state of feeling sad, a psychoneurotic or psychotic disorder marked by sadness, inactivity, difficulty thinking and concentration, a significant increase or decrease in appetite and time spent sleeping, feeling of dejection and hopelessness, sometimes it could be accompanied by suicidal thoughts or attempts to commit suicide, a reduction in functional activity, amount, quality or force. This is a serious medical condition and most times help of a trained medical professional is necessary.
The causes include traumatic events such as loss of a job, social isolation, and certain medications like beta blockers can increase the risk of depression. Personal conflicts, neurological disorders, nutritional deficiency of B12 or B6, Pre menstrual syndrome, genetics, stressful events, health problems like cancer, heart disease, thyroid problems, chronic pain also increase the risk of depression.
The symptoms include continuously being in a sad mood, feeling hopeless, feeling guilty, inability to concentrate, feeling of getting run down, not getting any enjoyment out of life, change in appetite or in sleeping patterns, having difficulty in maintaining relations within the family or with friends, lack of interest in sex, feeling anxious, suicidal thoughts and others.
Natural remedies for Depression that are helpful–
- For normal brain function, omega 3 fatty acids are essential. Studies suggest that omega 3 fatty acids when taken along with antidepressants may be more effective than antidepressants alone. Cold water fish like Salmon, Anchovies and soya products are the richest source of omega3 fatty acids, it is also found in flaxseed.
- Folic acid deficiency is always present in the depressed people; hence use of green leafy vegetables, fruits, beans, is one of the best natural remedies for depression.
- Studies done on depression found that people who have a low level of selenium, become more anxiousand depressed. So intake of selenium products like Brazil nuts, oysters and sunflower seed should help.
- Take well balanced diet which includes antioxidants, multivitamins and mineral supplements.
- Reduce the intake of sugary foods.
- Magnesium is necessary for serotonin production which is a neurotransmitter. Many people don’t get enough amount of magnesium, so eat more of whole grains and green vegetables.
- Finally, learn to laugh.
Natural remedies for depression using herbs –
- Mucuna pruriens or Konch - The seed of konch in a dose of 3gms was tried in India as an antidepressant herb in 25 cases of depressive illness during 1987-88. In Varanasi. Results suggest that the herb increased the level of dopamine, serotonin and other catecholamine in the brain and body to the extent that it induces mood elevation and relieved depression. If Mucuna pruriens seeds are not available take herbal supplements containing Mucuna pruriens along with other anti-depressive herbs.
- Withania somnifera or Ashwagandha-The patients who have symptoms of sleep disturbance, anxiety can take the powder or Churna of Ashwagandha. If the powder of this herb is not available, then take Ashwagandha based depression stress supplements.
- Acorus calamus or Vacha or Sweet flag- This is useful for depression. If Acorus calamus is not available in simple herbal form, take herbal supplements containing Acorus calamus along with other anti depressive herbs. This is one of the best natural remedies for depression.
- Melissa officinalis or Lemon Balm- It is useful to relieve dyspepsia related to depression. It is widely valued for its calming property.
- Oats: It is useful in nervous debility and exhaustion associated with depression. It strengthens the nervous system.
I hope the above natural remedies for depression including the use of certain herbal supplements will help all that are trying to address this situation. In severe or chronic cases one should consult a healthcare adviser.
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.