Natural remedies for Diarrhea
Natural remedies for diarrhea that are useful-
By Veena Deo
In this article I am going to discuss causes and natural remedies for Diarrhea and also the use of certain herbal supplements.
Diarrhea is an abnormally frequent intestinal evacuation with more or less fluid stools. It is also defined as passage of loose, watery stools with increased frequency. Diarrhea is common in all age groups.
Diarrhea mostly occurs due to infection in the alimentary canal by a virus or a bacteria. If the sanitation is poor, then the food gets contaminated by Enterotoxingenic E-coli and produces Diarrhea.
Growth of bacteria in small intestine, inflammatory bowel diseases, infectious diseases, intake of polluted water, etc causes Diarrhea. Non -steroidal -anti-inflammatory drugs, Antibiotics, chemotherapy drugs also cause Diarrhea. The parasite Cyclospora also can produce this condition.
Symptoms for Diarrhea includes, Stomach ache/stomach pain, nausea, abdominal pain, fevers, headaches, excessive thirst, dry mouth, less urination and others.
Natural remedies for Diarrhea -
- Increase fluid intake.
- Avoid dairy products.
- Add lemon juice and sugar to fresh juice of Amla or Indian gooseberry and drink it. Amla extracts also might be available as supplements.
- Intake of Yogurt along with ginger juice is advisable.
- Barley water and Carrot soup is beneficial.
- Drink buttermilk after adding a little amount of roasted cumin seed powder and a little amount of black salt to it.
- Drink boiled water.
- In Diarrhea it is necessary to replenish the potassium which the body loses. Hence eat Bananas, which are an excellent source of potassium.
- In chronic Diarrhea, it is advisable to take Coconut Macaroons.
- Make a mixture of Sonthi or Dry Ginger with rock salt. Take it along with little sugar twice a day. It will help to reduce Diarrhea due to indigestion.
- Pomegranate juice is also advisable or can be taken as supplements. It is highly effective in chronic Diarrhea, dysentery, dyspepsia and colitis. Ref (ADPS, 123, IMM, 1034). Also read on Pomegranate supplement products.
- Take powdered dry seeds of Mango, mix this with a little bit of honey, and eat it.
- Add little pinch of Turmeric powder in buttermilk & drink it or use Turmeric Curcumin supplements.
- Prepare a juice of Drumsticks, then mix with a glass of coconut water and ½ teaspoon of honey. Take this twice a day.
- Mix fresh mint juice with honey, lime juice and drink it.
- Drink a mixture of boiled and then cooled water with a little salt and sugar. Sip it. This prevents dehydration of the body.
- Eat freshly cooked food.
- Aegle Marmelos or Bael fruits are always used in chronic Diarrhea. Possesses anti-amoebic, carminative, astringent and digestive properties. Ref : (Weath of India, rev Vol 1, 1985 CSIR, 80-90- Ayurvedic Drugs & their plant sources, sivarajan VV & Indira Balachandan, 1994, 515).
- Cyperus Rotandus or Musta is useful in Diarrhea, dysentery and others disorders of the stomach and irritation of the bowels. (IMM, 429,ADPS, 316, Glossary of Indian Medicinal plants, Chopra RN et al, 1956, 88)
I hope all the natural remedies for diarrhea including certain herbal supplements discussed above should help most people. I always advise to talk to a Medical Doctor as he or she would be able to diagnose the problem correctly.
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com