Natural remedies, Dysmenorrhea, Menstrual Cramps
Natural remedies for Dysmenorrhea / Menstrual Cramps that are useful
By Veena Deo
In this article I am going to discuss about natural remedies for Dysmenorrhea, which is associated with Painful menstruation or menstrual cramps and the use of herbal supplements. Menstrual cramps are of two types, primary and secondary. Dysmenorrhea is the most common problem with women. Nearly 90% get affected by this condition.
The main symptoms of Dysmenorrhea or menstrual cramps is a pain in lower abdomen or in the umbilical region or in the suprapabic region of the abdomen. This pain may radiate to the thighs and lower back. Dysmenorrhea is often related to the changes occurring at hormonal levels in all women. Nausea, vomiting, headaches, irritation, anxiety, constipation, burning sensation are all the symptoms that can occur along with abdominal pain.
Molecular compounds called prostaglandins are released during menstruation. Release of prostaglandins and other inflammatory mediators in the uterus cause the uterus to contract. These substances are thought to be a major factor in primary Dysmenorrhea or menstrual cramps. Ref. Wright, Jason and solang wyatt. The Washington Manual Obstetrics and Gynecology survival Guide. Lippincott Williams and wilkins, 2003. ISBNO- 7817-4363 – X
Dysmenorrhea is called ‘Primary’ when there is no specific abnormality. Secondary Dysmenorrhea may be caused by endometriosis, fibroid tumors or due to infection in the pelvic region.
The most common and popular choice to treat menstrual cramps or Dysmenorrhea is “Non steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. These include Aspirin, Ibuprofen, and Naproxen. But there could be certain side effects of these NSAID drugs.
Natural remedies for Menstrual cramps, Dysmenorrhea -
- Magnesium is useful to relieve menstrual cramps. Sources – Nuts, Green leafy vegetable and whole grains, Spinach, Yogurt, Peas.
- Take Herbal teas like – Mint, Blackberry, and Chamomile.
- Clinical studies have suggested that calcium supplements provide relief during this time especially in women over 40.
- Take a piece of ginger; boil it in a cup of water. Filter it and drink it once a day or one can increase the amount of ginger in cooking.
- Drink pineapple juice. Pineapple contains bromelain which is known for its muscle relaxant properties.
- Carrot and Beet juice is advisable 2 to 3 times a day.
- Take dietary fiber via Orange pulp, raw carrots and broccoli.
- When one feels congestion in the pelvic region, intake of a warm drink is helpful, so that the blood flow gets increased, which in turn can relax the muscles.
- Basil contains pain killing active compounds. Hence it helps to relieve menstrual cramps. Take 17 to 18 Basil leaves, boil in water, filter it and drink this water twice a day.
- Cinnamon is also useful to relieve pain of Dysmenorrhea. Sprinkle cinnamon powder on food or while taking tea.
- Omega 3 fatty acids are also useful to reduce menstrual cramps.Sources – Flax seed oil, cod liver oil.
- Fresh green vegetables, specially cabbage and spinach, help reduce menstrual cramps.
- Meditation and yoga are techniques useful to relieve the symptoms of Dysmenorrhea.
I hope my natural remedies for Dysmenorrhea / menstrual cramps will help all womenl. Some products like basil and Cinnamon are also available as herbal supplements.
Also read on- Stress supplements, Natural sleep aid
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information and on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com