Natural remedies for Eczema
Natural remedies for Eczema and other conditions
By Veena Deo
In this article I am going to discuss about natural remedies for Eczema and also about hives, corns and calluses. I will also talk about the use of certain herbal supplements.
Hectic life style, pollution, excessive intake of junk food, aggravates the Pitta Dosha or digestion in a human body. This aggravates and vitiates or reduces the quality of blood giving rise to skin disorders or skin diseases.
Natural remedies for Eczema and other skin problems like Hivesand more are discussed below-
Corn – A local hardening and thickening of epidermis is called as a corn.
Callus – A thickening of or a hard thickened area on the skin.
The pressure on the skin results in the skin cells dying and these dead cells form a hard surface.
Corns are small and arise on the toes, while Calluses are bigger and generally develop on the soles of the feet.
Corns, Calluses Natural remedies -
- Rub a paste of Licorice (Glycyrrhiza Glabra) and Sesame oil on the affected area before going to bed.
- Raw Papaya (Carica Papaya) juice should be applied over the affected area.
- Make a paste of Chalk powder or Calcium Carbonate powder with water and apply it on the affected area.
- Boil some Oat meal in water for about15 minutes, strain away the water into a bucket. Cool it to a comfortable temperature. Then dip the affected foot into it.
- Regular massage of Coconut Oil on these Corns and Calluses 3 to 4 times a day is advisable. It makes them soft.
- The powder of Turmeric mixed with honey can be applied on the affected areas.
Eczema is an inflammatory condition of the skin characterized by redness, itching and oozing. Vesicular lesions which become scaly crusted or hardened. Causative Factors include Stress, Allergic reactions, Hereditary and the Symptoms include Itching, redness on the skin, dry and flaky skin, inflammation, rough and thickened skin.
Natural remedies Eczema -
- Always use a mild soap or mild body cleanser.
- Try to avoid physical or mental stress.
- Boil the bark of Neem or Margosa along with its leaves (Azadirachta Indica), cool it down and clean the affected area daily with this warm water. You can also use Neem powder and use if the bark and leaves are not available.
- Oral intake of Walnuts which contain Omega 3 fatty acids is beneficial. It is also a good source of Vit-C. For help with Eczema. As Vitamin C is an antioxidant, it protects the skin from harmful radicals. Hence walnut is useful in skin problems like fungal infections, Eczema, Psoriasis etc.
- Oat meal is a traditional remedy used for skin problems. Oat meal exfoliates dead skin cells, making the skin soft and smooth.
- Mix oat meal with water and scrub it on the affected area. It creates a film on the surface of the skin, allowing the skin to retain its moisture. It is an effective remedy for Eczema. (Do not use this remedy it you are allergic to oats).
- The paste prepared from Neem bark or Margosa (Azadirachta Indica) and Tulsi or Holy Basil (Ocimum Sanctum) leaves should be applied on the affected area.
- Apply a mixture of Sandalwood and Camphor on the Eczema affected areas.
Hives or Urticaria is an allergic disorder marked by raised edematous patches of skin or mucous membrane and by intense itching, caused by contact with a specific precipitating factor as a food, drug, or inhalant caused either externally or internally. Causative Factors include use of Antibiotics, allergy towards some specific food, pregnancy, painkillers, etc.
Hive Natural remedies -
- People should take 1/4 teaspoon of Turmeric powder twice daily with water with food,Or can take a Turmeric supplement high in Curcumin content.
- One should avoid tea and coffee.
- Make a paste of Tulsi or Holy Basil (Ocimum Sanctum) leaves and apply it on the affected areas.
- Apply Aloe Vera gel to the area.
-Apply Milk of Magnesia to the area.
Prickly Heat or Heat rash is a non-contiguous cutaneous eruption of red pimples with intense itching and tingling caused by inflammation around the sweat ducts. Causative Factors include, excessive sweating, especially during humid climate or in summer.
Heat rash Natural Remedies -
- Add little powder of Oat meal in water. Take a bath with this water. It will give relief from inflammation.
- The paste of Neem or Margosa and, Tulsi or Holy Basil and sandal powder is also effective to give relief.
- Add Rose water and plain water in Multani Mitti (Special clay). Make a paste of it and apply it to the area.
- Intake of Grape juice of 200ml, twice daily is advisable.
- Cold infusion of Dhaniya or Coriander juice 10ml, twice daily is advisable.
Certain herbs like Turmeric are also available as herbal supplements, that can be used if the raw form is not available. I hope the above natural remedies for Eczema and hives helps all.
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information and on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org