Natural remedies for Liver
Natural remedies for liver health that are useful
By Veena Deo
In this article I am going to discuss natural remedies for liver, cleansing and general health and also the use of certain herbal supplements.
Liver is the most important organ of the body. It is a large vascular glandular organ of the vertebrates, that secretes bile and causes important changes in many of the substances contained in the blood which passes through it. (For example, it converts sugars into Glycogen which it stores up until required. It also forms urea). In humans, it is the largest gland in the body. We will discuss Natural remedies for liver and cleansing going forward.
The following are the reasons that cause obstructions in Liver functions and give rise to many liver disorders. Infection, injury, excessive intake of alcohol, prolonged use of antibiotics, irregularities in dietary habits, polluted water, excessive intake of junk food etc. Some liver conditions are caused by Jaundice, Cirrhosis of liver, Fatty liver, enlarged liver etc.
Common symptoms of liver diseases include skin and eyes become yellowish, nausea, curved and whitish nails, swelling under the lower rib, frequent headache, irritability, loss of appetite etc.
Natural remedies for liver health that are helpful-
Many Herbs that contain biomolecules provide therapeutic benefits as these biomolecules are generally biodegradable. They can easily be broken down into basic elements, which is why “Herbs” are more useful for liver problems over synthetic drugs.
- Chicory or Cichorium Intybus is useful in liver cleansing. The juice of this plant increases the secretion of bile, hence useful in bile obstruction, sluggishness of the Liver, Jaundice and in enlargement of the Liver.
- Andrographis Paniculata (kalmegh) is an herb useful in Liver Problems. The decoction of this herb has been found effective in the treatment of infective hepatitis. Ref : Chaturvedi GN et al, 1983, Clinical studies on Kalmegh in infective hepatitis. Anc Sci Life, 2 (4), 208-215.
- Rheum Emodi an Asian herb stimulates liver functions in small doses.
- Phyllanthus Niruri herb is highly used in Ayurveda as a single remedy in the treatment of Jaundice.
- Aloe Vera is useful for Liver Problems. It helps to tone up the liver, cleanses it and is effective in cases of enlargement of Liver.
- Sugarcane juice is one of the most effective home remedies in the treatment of Jaundice. It promotes cleansing liver, more urination as well as is helpful for general health.
- Barley water - If a patient suffering from Jaundice is has blood sugar problems then, Barley water is useful.
- Take a Triphala Churna (Powder). Make a decoction of it. Drink this decoction twice a day. Triphala is also available as herbal supplements.
- Cut a lemon in to two parts. Remove the seeds from it. Then cut this into four parts in such a way that parts should not get separated. In one part put black pepper, in one put black salt, in one put Sonth or Zanzibar Officinale or Dry Ginger, and in the fourth, sugar candy. Cover it with plate overnight. In the morning one hour before breakfast warm this lemon and take the juice in through the mouth. It is useful in liver cleansing.
- Combination of spinach juice, Carrot juice are good natural remedies for liver cleansing.
- Drink a decoction of Tinospora Cordifolia or Tamarind twice a day.
- Take fresh juice of Indian Gooseberry or Amla twice daily or the powdered form of dry Indian Gooseberry with water twice daily for about 15 days. It will help with many Liver conditions and cleanses it.
- Grapefruits are rich with Vit C. It has ability to burn fats hence it is used in fatty liver.
- Licorice has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, hence useful for Liver health and it also protects it.
- Drink buttermilk with a pinch of salt and roasted Cumin seeds. It is beneficial in liver cleansing.
- Avoid a fat rich meal, fried and processed food , spicy food and junk food.
- Combination of lemon juice (half a teaspoon) and raw papaya juice (two teaspoonfuls) is a good natural remedy for liver cleansing.
- Boil a little amount of root of Dandelion in a glass of water for about 10minutes. Then drink this water.
- Garlic must be used in the diet.
Following the above listed natural remedies for liver, conditions and for liver cleansing, should be useful to most people. It is always advisable to check with a Medical Doctor as liver is very important for survival of human beings.
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information and on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org