Natural remedies for Psoriasis
Natural remedies for Psoriasis that work-
By Veena Deo
The discussion in this article is about natural remedies for Psoriasis that can be followed very easily by all people.
The word psoriasis is derived from the Greek ‘Psora’, which means ‘to-itch’. It is a chronic skin disease characterized by circumscribed red patches covered with white scales. It usually occurs between the ages of 14 and 24 and persists for life.
The symptoms of Psoriasis include dry and cracked skin that may bleed, itch, be swollen and shift joints, also red patches of skin covered with silvery scales. Although the condition may occur on any part of the body the characteristic sites are knees and elbows. It can affect any part of the body.
The causes include, Hereditary of a person, excess stress, and also may get triggered by viral infection. In Psoriasis, People cannot avoid scratching on the itchy scales and sometimes one would see a watery exudation and blood comes out of the patches due to which a burning sensation occurs.
Natural remedies for Psoriasis that are beneficial –
- Application of Neem or Azadirachta indica seed oil is also beneficial.
- Cycling and swimming are useful.
- Avoid hot water showers and use of harsh soaps.
- External application of Karanja Oil or Pongamia pinnata is advisable.
- For thick, small, well circumscribed lesions, application externally of home grade Castor oil is useful.
- Add ½ teaspoon of Turmeric powder in 1 teaspoon of Neem or Azadirachta indica powder. Take this twice daily, with lukewarm water.
- Thyme is a well known herbal remedy for psoriasis.
- Taking a bath daily, to calm the inflamed cells, is required.
- Infections, stress, smoking can worsen the psoriasis, hence try to avoid them. If needed take stress supplements.
- People with Psoriasis should keep their nails properly trimmed so that they can prevent the spread of Psoriasis.
- Banana peel is a key ingredient to relieve the symptoms of psoriasis.
- Flaxseed oil is chemically similar to fish oil and helps to with psoriasis.
- It is observed in practice, that little amount of sunlight can significantly improve lesions in certain people, but too much sun exposure can damage the skin.
- Evening Primrose oil contains GLA – Beneficial in Psoriasis.
- Include Parsley in your diet.
- Eat bananas.
- In a study published in the British journal of Dermatology, researchers found that the higher the blood level of homocysterine in people of Psoriasis, the more severe are the symptoms. Folic acid helps to decrease homocysteine levels. So take beans, dark green vegetables.
- Lavender – Research shows that it boosts immune system. Psoriasis can be triggered by stress, so, calming and soothing properties of Lavender helps to prevent stress related flare ups.
- Forskolin - It is an extract of the plant Coleus forskohli. Traditionally, it is used to help with psoriasis. In Psoriasis, cells divide 1,000 times faster than the normal cells. Forskolin helps to relieve symptoms of Psoriasis by normalizing Camp/CGMP ratio.
- Add pinch of Turmeric powder in a glass of water and drink it, or eat a pinch of it early in the morning. Turmeric powder helps to tone up liver function, helps to purify the vitiated blood and has an anti-inflammatory property. So it is useful in the relieving symptoms of Psoriasis. If the powder of Turmeric is not available, try to take Turmeric Curcumin supplements.
- No specific food is recommended in Psoriasis, but it is important to take a balanced diet. Eat fruits, vegetables and whole grains. If you observe that a particular food triggers Psoriasis, then try to avoid such type of food.
- Try to keep the skin moist.
- Foods rich in vitamin C, E and D and omega 3, fatty acids may be beneficial in Psoriasis.
- Make a paste of tender Neem leaves or Azadirachta indica with a pinch of Turmeric powder. Apply this paste over the affected areas before taking bath.
I hope the above natural remedies for Psoriasis including the use of certain herbal supplements will help all that are trying to address this situation. In severe or chronic cases one should consult a healthcare adviser.
Read more on- Natural sleep aid, Muscle pain reliever
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to firstname.lastname@example.org.