Natural remedies for Sleep
Natural remedies for sleep that are useful
By Veena Deo
The discussion in this article is about natural remedies for sleep that can be followed very easily by all people.
Sleep is the natural periodic suspension of consciousness during which the powers of the body are restored. Disturbed sleep is one where it shows symptoms of emotional illness. People, who have problems of disturbed sleep, don’t even have an idea as to what is disturbing their sleep.
The causes include a disturbed sleep pattern, dream anxiety, stress and strain, fever, menopause, pregnancy, iron deficiency, pregnancy, menstruation, Heartburn, aging, anxiety, chronic pain, enlarged prostate, late shift work, sleeping too much during day time, medications like ephedrine etc. I will discuss some natural remedies below, for sleep problems.
Natural remedies for Sleep that are helpful–
- Massage feet with Cucumbers.
- Massage of the head with Ayurvedic Brahmi oil, Jatamansi oil is advisable before going to bed.
- Drink warm milk with a little bit of Nutmeg before going to bed, for Vata constitution. For Pitta constitution add Cardamom and for Kapha constitution add dry ginger.
- Try to establish a regular bed time routine, also in the weekends.
- Herbal teas containing Chamomile, Passion flower and lemon balm are advisable. If the tea is not available then try to take the herbal supplements containing the aforesaid herbs.
- The use of lavender oil for its smell in the bed room is advisable.
- Try to do deep breathing exercises.
- Bedroom should be warm and with a comfortable bed and pillow.
- Warm relaxing bath is advisable.
- Valerian root is useful for sound sleep. Should consult a Doctor before using this as dosage could differ. If restlessness occurs, stop the use of this herb.
- Take a balanced diet with plenty of fresh fruits and vegetables, whole grains and nuts.
- Do meditation and yoga.
- Listen to soothing music.
- Wear comfortable clothes.
- Avoid drinking coffee or alcohol before going to bed.
- Eat raw cabbage salad.
- Avoid sleeping during day time.
- Passion Flower is useful in minor sleep problems.
- Many times disturbed sleep is due to stress and strain. So take a combination of Abutilon indicum (Atibala), Ocimum sanctum (Tulsee) and Sida cordifolia in equal parts. Add Withania somnifera (Ashwagandha) to it. Take this powder with honey or make a tea. If this is not available in powdered form, take the Herbal supplement containing these ingredients.
- Mix the powder of Centella asiatica (Mandukaparni), Convolvulus pluricaulis and Nardostachys Jatamansi (Spikenard).Take it with milk or honey. If powder of the herbs is not available take the Herbal supplements containing these herbs.
- In some people, it was observed that milky drinks were as effective as sleeping tablets. So take those. But avoid chocolate cocoa milk drinks as they often contain caffeine.
- Poppy seeds extracts, Jatamansi (Spikenard), essential oils of rose and sandal are relaxing and calming. Use them in any convenient form.
- Deficiency of B Vitamins like B6, B12 and Folic acid may produce insomnia. So correct the deficiency of these Vitamins.
Convolvulus pluricaulis (Shankhapushpi) has an anti-anxiety effect. Effective in Anxiety neurosis conditions. In large doses, it acts as a sedative. Helps to reduce different types of stress related problems.
Withania somnifera or Ashwagandha has an adaptogenic property which means that it has been found to enhance survival during stress. So try to take the Stress supplement products of Ashwagandha.
Nardostachys Jatamansi or Spikenard is useful for headaches, convulsion and sleeplessness. It is a good substitute for Valerian. Take the Nardostachys Jatamansi or Spikenard Herbal Supplement.
Take a combination of following herbs for sound sleep -
Ajwan (Trachyspermum ammi) Ashwagandha (Withania somnifera), Tagar (Valeriana wallichii) Shankhapushpi (Convolvulus pluricaulis) Jatamansi (Spikenard) Nardostachys Jatamansi, Try to take the herbal supplements containing these herbs as their ingredient.
I hope the above natural remedies for sleep including the use of certain herbal supplements will help all that are trying to address this situation. In severe or chronic cases one should consult a healthcare adviser.
Also read on- Under Eye cream, Anti Wrinkle cream
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com.