Natural remedies for Toenail fungus
Natural remedies for Toenail fungus a useful discussion
By Veena Deo
This article is about natural remedies for toenail fungus, things that can be followed easily at home.
The discussion in this article is about natural remedies that can be followed very easily by all people for relief of toenail and related conditions, and the use of certain herbal supplements. Fungal disease of the nails is also known as Onychomycosis. This condition affects the toenails or finger nails. The toenail infection is very common.
The symptoms include nail becoming thickened and discolored. Infection of the nail finger begins with a white or yellow or even a blackish spot under the tip or along the side of the nail. The toenail color can vary from brown or yellow to white, nail can become brittle and if not treated in the early stages, the skin around it becomes inflamed or painful. Toenail fungus symptoms also include swelling, yellowing, thickening or crumbling of the nail.
The causes include abnormal PH levels of the skin, especially after bathing, if the hands and feet are not dried properly. The infection usually develops on the nail when people with low immunity get continuously exposed to warm, moist, environment, sweaty shoes, poor hygiene, and trauma of the nail. People with blood sugar problems have a higher chance of getting infected with this.
Natural remedies for Toenail fungus topical options -
- Wear cotton socks.
- Wash your feet after visiting public places.
- Take more probiotics, Yogurt is a good source of probiotics.
- Always keep the nails trimmed.
- People should sprinkle antifungal medicated powder on the socks.
- Apply tea tree oil with olive oil on the affected area.
- Take tea tree oil and lavender oil in equal parts. Then soak a cotton ball with this. Dab it under the top edge of the toe nail and surrounding area 2 to 3 times a day.
- Make a paste of Turmeric powder (Curcuma longa) with water and apply it on the affected area. Then leave it till it becomes dry. Then wash it off.
- One should preferably wear open end shoes.
- Synthetic socks such as Nylon are not advised to wear, as they do not allow the moisture to pass through and away from your skin and might cause irritation to the skin.
- Mix 2 drops of Oregano oil with a teaspoon of Olive oil. Then apply this mixture on the affected area. Oregano oil is known for its antiseptic, antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Apply Neem Oil or Azadirachta indica on the affected area. Neem oil can treat different types of fungus including nail fungus. Neem has antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic properties.
- Avoid sharing of personal belongings like shoe, socks or gloves as they can be a medium for transferring the fungus.
- Application of eucalyptus oil is advisable.
- When the toenail fungus infection occurs, the PH of the surrounding skin nail becomes more alkaline in nature. The fungus grows in an alkaline environment. In acidic area, it cannot survive. Hence the application of cider vinegar is useful.
- Eat one clove of garlic daily. Garlic contains allicin, which has antifungal properties.
- Vinegar can inhibit the growth of Bacteria. The acidity of vinegar relieves itching and restores PH balance which is useful to combat fungi.
- Tincture, an alcohol extract like Iodine, when applied externally can be used to treat fungal related problems. Apply 3 to 4 drops of the tincture on the affected area and then allow it to dry.
I hope the above natural remedies for toenail fungus including the use of certain herbal supplements will help all that are trying to address this situation. In severe or chronic cases one should consult a healthcare adviser.
Also read on Turmeric Curcumin, Muscle pain reliever
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided and on supplements above and opinions expressed are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com.