Natural remedies for Tonsillitis
Natural remedies for Tonsillitis that are useful-
By Veena Deo
In this article I am going to discuss natural remedies for Tonsillitis and also use of some herbal supplements.
Tonsillitis is inflammation of the tonsils of varying degrees of severity and involving simple inflammation associated with acute Pharyngitis, to Streptococcus infection (as in strep throat), or the formation of an abscess as in Quinsy. We will discuss natural remedies for Tonsillitis.
Causes: Tonsillitis is usually caused by a virus, the most common virus being Adenovirus, Rhinovirus, Influenza Corona virus and respiratory Syncytial virus. Bacteria can also cause Tonsillitis. The most common bacterial cause of Tonsillitis is group A, Beta Hemolytic Streptococcus (GABHS).
Tonsillitis can also be caused by Fungi, by Epstein Barr virus, Herpes simplex virus. It can be spread by close contact of an infected person.
Symptoms : Sore throat, fever, pain in the area of tonsils, difficulty in swallowing, runny nose, nasal congestion, sneezing, white patches in the area of tonsils, headaches, pain while swallowing, tenderness in jaw & throat area.
Natural remedies for Tonsillitis that are helpful-
- Gargle with antiseptic mouth wash.
- Add 1 teaspoon salt in a cup of lukewarm water. Gargle with this water. Repeat it as and when required. It will help to sooth the throat and to relieve pain and irritation.
- Add a pinch of Curcuma Longa (Turmeric powder) in lukewarm milk. Drink this before going to bed for about a week. One can also use Turmeric Curcumin supplements
- In one liter of water add 2 teaspoons, of Fenugreek or Methi seeds. Simmer for 30 minutes. Cool it and gargle with it.
- Make a paste of garlic cloves; smear it on a piece of cotton wool. Warm it in a Microwave, squeeze the juice and add equal quantity of honey to it. Then apply it externally on the inflamed tonsils area.
- Chew on 2 to 3 Lavangadi Bati or cloves, 4 to 5 times a day.
- Take 3 parts of Carrot juice, and then add one part each of Beet juice and Cucumber juice to it. Then drink this juice once a day.
- Avoid eating Yogurt and sour substances.
- Lemon tea with honey is beneficial for sore throat. Good for Tonsillitis relief.
- Do not eat spicy foods. It is advisable to go on a total fruit diet for a few days, which helps in early recovery. In breakfast, one should eat fresh fruits, grated raw carrot and drink skimmed milk.
- It is advisable to take vegetables like Bitter gourd and Fenugreek. Steamed vegetables are also advisable.
- Avoid smoking and drinking of alcohol.
- Take a fresh lemon and squeeze it in a glass of warm water. Add a teaspoon of Honey and a pinch of salt in it. Drink it slowly. Best of all natural remedies for Tonsillitis.
- Mix dried leaves of Mint in Luke warm water for gargling.
- Mix one part of Ginger juice and one part of Honey in 2 teaspoons of lukewarm water. Gargle with this water. Again. Best of natural remedies for Tonsillitis.
- Drink plenty of water so that the toxins from the body get flushed out.
- Try to curtail conversations and give rest to the throat.
- Smash some figs mix with honey and eat it. It would help with Tonsillitis.
- Drink warm beverages. Warm beverages help to give relief as compared to cold.
- Drinking herbal teas like ginger or Chamomile is good for Tonsillitis relief.
- Take Solanum Xanthocarpum, boil it in two liters of water and wait till half the quantity only remains. Then allow it to cool. Filter it and use it for mouthwash.
- Boil the bark of Acacia Arabica or Indian Gum in water. Make a strong decoction of it and allow it to cool. Then use this for gargling.
Following the above natural remedies for tonsillitis can give great relief. There are certain herbal supplements that can also give relief. Again, I would say it is always recommended to talk to your Medical Doctor when one comes up with this condition.
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information and on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com.