Natural Remedies for Toothache
Natural remedies for toothache that are useful
By Veena Deo
The discussion in this article is about natural remedies for toothache that can be followed very easily by all people. Toothache is basically pain in or around a tooth, also called as Odontalgia.
The causes include dental cavities, cracked tooth, infected teeth, ulceration on the gums due to excessive intake of refined carbohydrates and sugar. Gum diseases, formation of the cavities in the teeth, infection and diseases of the ears and sinuses can also cause pain around the teeth, irritation of the tooth root, dental abscess, bad eating habits like over indulgence in sweets, ice creams, soft drinks and more.
The symptoms of toothache may be constant throughout the day and night or it may occur now and then for a short period of time depending on the degree of dental damage. Headaches, pain while eating, bleeding or discharge around the tooth, swelling or increased pain when chewing are some of the symptoms.
Natural remedies For toothache that are helpful-
- Make a paste of clove of garlic with little rock salt and apply on the affected area helps to relieve pain of toothache. Garlic is a good pain killer with anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties. It contains allicin which give the antibiotic effect.
- Rub a piece of lime on the aching tooth. It will help to relieve pain.
- Put warm tea bag on the sore tooth. It will help to overcome the pain.
- Chew some leaves of Guava.
- Antiseptic lotion for gargling can be used.
- Take clove oil, eucalyptus oil in equal parts, apply this on affected area.
- Salt water mouthwash is also advisable as an effective natural remedy for toothache.
- Soak 10gms of Triphala powder in glass full of hot water. When solution get lukewarm, use it for gargling. Regular use may help to prevent further decay of teeth.
- Lime juice application internally helps to prevent tooth decay.
- For tooth decay use juice of wheat grass as daily mouthwash.
- Onions are high in sodium and rich with vitamin E and B12. Place a small piece of onion on affected tooth. It helps to kill the germs of that particular area.
- Spilanthes acmella also known as toothache plant contains spilanthol which acts as a local anesthetic. For toothache rub a leaf on the gum of affected area. The area tingles and then goes numb within a few seconds and give relief.Ref: How to use Herbs in daily life.
- Put a bag of the crushed ice on and around the sore tooth. It will help to numb the nerve ending and to relieve the pain.
- Green tea has antioxidant, antiseptic and anti-inflammatory properties. According to the University of Maryland Medical center green teas’ anti-bacterial property may be helpful to stop or slow the development of cavities.
- Oolang tea extract helps to reduce the formation of plaque even in small doses. Ref. According to German Language Wochenblatt news paper of 17 November 1999.
- Take a mouthful of whisky and savor it over the affected teeth for some time and spit it out.
- Oil of oregano is useful to relieve toothache. It has an anti microbial activity against food borne pathogens which cause tooth decay.
- A pinch of pepper powder mixed with common salt and applying to affected area is effective against the increased sensitiveness of the teeth.
- Add pinch of salt in Turmeric powder or Curcuma longa, then add mustard oil to it. Make a paste and then rub this on the teeth and gums to make them strong. If turmeric powder is not available take Turmeric Curcumin supplements along with Neem or Melia azadirachta supplements.
- Clove Oil: Clove oil kills bacteria. It calms the nerve endings and numbs the site of pain. Make sure that you do not swallow this, as it irritates the stomach. A few drops should be applied twice or thrice a day with the help of sterilized cotton swabs.
I hope the above natural remedies for toothache including the use of certain herbal supplements will help all that are trying to address this situation. In many cases one should consult a Dentist or a healthcare adviser.
Also read on- Muscle pain reliever, Pomegranate supplement
Dr. Veena Deo is an Ayurvedic Doctor in India. All the information provided above and opinions expressed above are her own and should not be construed as medical advice. This information on supplements is provided for educational purposes only. For questions or to consult Dr. Veena Deo, please send an email to email@example.com.